Paternity Disputes Lawyers North Strathfield, Sydney, NSW.

Your Family Lawyers Brisbane & Sydney

Assisting in establishing legal paternity and resolving related issues such as child custody, visitation, and child support.

Expert Paternity Disputes Lawyers Brisbane

At CG Legal, we understand the importance of establishing legal paternity and resolving related issues in paternity disputes.

Resolving Paternity Matters with Legal Support.

Our dedicated team of Family Law lawyers is here to provide expert legal assistance in navigating the complexities of paternity matters, including child custody, visitation, and child support.

Our Paternity Dispute Services:

Establishing Paternity: We assist in establishing legal paternity through DNA testing or other appropriate methods, providing clarity and certainty regarding the child’s parentage.

Child Custody and Visitation: Our team will work to ensure that the child’s best interests are prioritised in determining custody and visitation arrangements, facilitating a nurturing and stable environment for the child.

Child Support Matters: We will guide you through the process of determining child support obligations, ensuring that the child’s financial needs are met and that both parents fulfill their responsibilities.

Negotiation and Mediation: We believe in exploring amicable solutions whenever possible. Our skilled negotiators and mediators will work to resolve paternity disputes through constructive discussions, aiming for mutually agreeable outcomes.

Court Representation: In cases where court intervention is necessary, our experienced litigators will represent your interests passionately, advocating for fair and just resolutions.

Expert Paternity Disputes Lawyers Brisbane

Parenting Order North Strathfield Explained.

When parents separate, one of the most important disputes that they need to address relates to the importance of continuing a relationship between the children or child and the parent who they do not live with on a permanent basis.

The importance of this is highlighted in the Family Law Act 1975 which relates to the rights and interests of all children in Australia. The Act sets out that its object is to ensure that children have the benefit of a meaningful relationship with both of their parents to the maximum extent that is in their best interests and to enable them to “achieve their full potential”. The Act also emphasises that there is a need to protect children from any physical or psychological harm from being subjected or exposed to abuse, neglect or family violence.

The Family Law Act also sets out that the principles underlying this objective are, unless it would be contrary to a child’s best interests, that:

  • Children have the right to know and be cared for by both their parents. 
  • Children have a right to spend time on a regular basis and communicate on a regular basis with both parents. 
  • That parents jointly share duties and responsibilities concerning the care, welfare and development of their children. 
  • That parents should agree about the parenting of their children 
  • That children have a right to enjoy their culture.

If parents can agree about the parenting of their children, who their children should live with and the time that their children should spend with the other parent, then they may formalise that agreement in several ways through the Family Court.

If, unfortunately, parents cannot agree about the parenting of their children, then an Application can be made to the Local Court, the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court for its assistance in resolving disputes. Through the Court process, parents will be encouraged to reach their own agreement about the children, however, ultimately if parents are unable to agree, the Court can make Parenting Orders about a child or children. What is now referred to as a “live with” Order is a Parenting Order and the primary interest of such Orders is always the best interest of the child.

Children of a certain age and/or maturity may also be considered by the Court to have the capacity to express a view that should be considered when the Court comes to make an Order with regard to their care.

Addressing Paternity Doubts After Separation

Doubts about paternity often arise after separation, especially in cases where infidelity is a concern, and the father is obligated to pay child support. In such situations, the father may seek to clarify the paternity of the child due to the ongoing child support obligation.

Evidence Required to Disprove Paternity

To be relieved of the obligation to provide child support, the father must provide evidence to disprove paternity. The Child Support Agency will accept evidence in the form of:

  1. The results of a legally recognised paternity test.
  2. A court-issued declaration of parentage.

Paternity testing of a child can be conducted with the consent of the mother. However, if the mother does not consent to a paternity test, the father can file an application requesting a parentage testing order. The person seeking the order must demonstrate an honest and reasonable doubt regarding the child’s paternity.

Several types of paternity tests are available, but those intended for use as evidence in court proceedings must adhere to strict requirements regarding sample collection, handling, and laboratory testing. Some tests are not admissible in court when determining parentage.

Child Support While Awaiting Paternity Test Results

The process of applying to the court for an Order and completing the parentage test can be time-consuming. If a child support assessment is in place, child support debt will continue to accumulate unless you apply to suspend the payments until the test results are known. This is referred to as a Stay Application.

It is essential to seek legal advice before making any allegations regarding paternity. Accusations related to paternity can be harmful, and once spoken, they cannot be undone. If you are interested in discussing paternity testing or a stay application, please contact our office to speak with one of our experienced Paternity Disputes Lawyers Brisbane.

Resolving Paternity Disputes in North Strathfield: Your Family Law Solution.

Paternity disputes are complex and emotionally charged challenges within the realm of family law. When confronted with such matters in Brisbane, it is imperative to engage a proficient family lawyer who possesses a comprehensive understanding of the legal intricacies involved. At Family Lawyers Brisbane, we offer specialized expertise and unwavering support in navigating these disputes.

Our Expertise:

Paternity Disputes: We specialise in handling paternity disputes, diligently ensuring the protection of your legal rights and the well-being of your child throughout the legal process.

Child Support Agreements: Our experienced legal team assists in the formulation, modification, and enforcement of child support agreements, striving to fulfill the financial needs of the child while upholding the responsibilities of both parents.

Paternity Testing: We provide expert guidance through the legal procedures involved in paternity testing, whether through mutual consent or court order.

Family Violence Concerns: In cases where family violence is a factor, our lawyers address these concerns with the utmost sensitivity and urgency, prioritizing the safety of all involved parties.

Support Agreements: We facilitate the creation of legally binding support agreements that encompass financial support, visitation rights, and other relevant issues, ensuring clarity of obligations for all parties.

Why Choose Our Services?

Our team of dedicated lawyers in Brisbane understands the emotional and legal complexities inherent in paternity disputes and family law matters. We are committed to providing expert legal counsel, a compassionate approach, and pragmatic solutions tailored to the specific circumstances of each client.

Securing appropriate legal representation is crucial in navigating paternity disputes and family law issues. Contact CG Legal Paternity Disputes Lawyers Brisbane to discuss your case. We are dedicated to safeguarding your legal rights, ensuring the well-being of your child, and fostering resolutions that offer peace of mind.

Frequently Asked Questions

in family law, “custody” is no longer the primary focus. Instead, parental responsibility and residence are key considerations. The allocation of parental responsibility and determination of the residence parent depend on the circumstances of your case, with the primary concern being the best interests of the child.

If a Court Order is in place, and your former partner is not complying, this is a serious matter. Your actions will depend on the situation, and there are various legal options available. Non-compliance with a Court Order may result in legal consequences for your former partner.

The legal framework surrounding child arrangements is complex. Even if relations between former partners are amicable, it is advisable to seek legal counsel to ensure both parties fully understand their rights, obligations, and responsibilities concerning children’s arrangements.

You can create either a Parenting Plan or Consent Orders to establish child arrangements. The choice between these options depends on your specific situation.

A Parenting Plan is an informal, written agreement between parents that is not endorsed by the Court. While not legally binding, it outlines parental intentions and child arrangements.

Consent Orders are Court-approved, legally binding agreements that provide a formal structure for child arrangements, including custody, visitation, and parental responsibilities.

Whether you need the other parent’s permission depends on the existence of a Court Order and your specific circumstances. If you’re considering moving and there is a Court Order in place, you cannot relocate without breaching the Order and may require the consent of the other party.

If Court Orders have not been established, it is typically required that both parents live in proximity to each other so that the child can maintain a relationship with both parents. Moving to a different state is possible after Court Orders are in place, but it often involves compromise and effective communication between the parents to ensure that visitation between the child and the non-residential parent can be maintained.